Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Cucumber Sandwiches with Cilantro-Mint Gremolada



I totally just made that name up.  They're actually just called Cucumber Sandwiches, but that sounded too boring.  And I really want you to try these!  I made them for the first time a hundred years ago and then made them again to take to my sister's for game day this past Saturday.  They got rave reviews - from family members anyway.  They really are so, so good.  My mom has already emailed me for the recipe.  And now, I shall share it with you, too.



The original recipe, probably another Better Homes, says it makes two sandwiches.  I ended up cutting my bread into circles and just using about a tablespoon of the gremolada per sammie.  I got 12 out of it.

Here's the recipe, with notes of how I changed it up to feed more:

Cucumber Sandwiches with Cilantro-Mint Gremolada
Makes 2 sandwiches or 12 with my notes


1 C packed cilantro leaves
1/2 C packed mint leaves
1 Tbsp lime juice (I used half of a large lime)
1 fresh jalapeno, quartered, and seeded if desired
1 clove garlic, quartered
2 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
4 slices whole wheat or white bread (I used 24 slices, cut into circles)
2 Tbsp butter, softened (I used cream cheese instead)
4 1-oz slices provolone cheese (I omitted this, since I used the cream cheese)
1/2 a medium cucumber, thinly sliced (I used 2 cucumbers, sliced super thin with a mandoline)


In a food processor combine mint, cilantro, lime juice, jalapeno, and garlic.  
Cover and process until finely chopped.  
(If you do not have a food processor, finely chop the herbs, jalapeno, and garlic; stir in lime juice.)  
Stir in Parmesan cheese.  


If desired, remove crusts from bread, or cut into shapes like I did.  
Spread one side of each bread slice with butter, or cream cheese if using.  
Top half of the bread slices with half of the Provolone cheese, if using.


 Top with all of the cucumber slices.  




 Top with the cilantro mixture.




 Add remaining cheese slices (again, if using), and remaining bread slices, butter (or cream cheese), side down.  
 Serve immediately or wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate.
I made mine a few hours ahead and they didn't get weird in the fridge at all.

Here they are, all ready to go:






There was a discussion of options outside of sammies.
You could top crackers.
If you're off carbs, you could top just cucumber slices or cut them lengthwise and make rolls out of them. 
You could use it on fish.
Or chicken.
The gremolade is fantastic.
One bite and you'll be tryin' to come up with other uses for it as well.

I also made a new-to-me recipe for baked Mexican-style wraps, called Antojito's.
If I'm being honest, I thought they were just okay.
But the recipe for those was requested as well, so the link is up there if you want to give them a whirl.

We brought along a couple bags of chips and picked up some drive-thru chicken.
'Cause it ain't a party till someone brings the Popeye's.

My sister and her BIL went with a Hawaiian theme and busted out some grilled chicken, yakisoba noodles, and macaroni salad.

Obviously, I ate myself sick.

Here are some more food pictures before I go work on today's to-do list:













Hope everyone took advantage of the long weekend.
Back to school tomorrow!
Off to a giant mound of little boy shirts that need to be ironed...


4 comments:

  1. Well, your timing for the cucumber sandwich recipe couldn't have been better, Mindy--I've got tons of cukes from the garden in the fridge--so I will have to give these a try. And I've never heard of Popeyes--I'm intrigued--the chicken looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. O, how I love cucumber and cream cheese sandwiches...now with this great sounding "add on", I just have to make it. Ummmm
    And, we love Popeyes, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you for posting this recipe! they were soooooo GOOD.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For me, nothing says Mardi Gras like Popeye's! Every Mardi Gras day we would snack on the chicken and biscuits (funny that the biscuits gross me out now).

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate all your comments. So don't be shy, just say it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover