Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Caramel Apple Cake


You may recall the fact that I hate this time of year.  The transition from summer to fall. 

The yard is starting to wane, but not to the point where I can just forget about it.  Things still need water, but I'm tired of watering.  Things still need deadheading, but I'm tired of clipping.  The lawn still needs to be mowed, but I'm ignoring it.  Plants that are brown and crispy need to be cut back, but I don't have the motivation to go out and take care of them.  I'm over it, but it's not cold or wet enough to walk away from it.

Least.  Favorite.  Time.  Of.  Year.

BUT, once the transition is over and we're in full-on fall mode, I get to enter into my MOST favorite food season.  I love fall food.  I LOVE FALL FOOD.  Root vegetables, roasts, apples and pears, soups and stews, mulled wine and apple cider.  Yeah, love it all.

If you're on Pinterest, you know that it has been bombarded with all things fall.  Annoying.  I'm not ready.  But then the apple desserts started coming.  Hundreds of them.  Cakes, pies, tarts, crisps, drinks.  So many it makes my head spin.  But I picked one.  And I made it.  And it tasted like fall.


The recipe is here.  She suggested cutting the caramel topping in half.  So I did.  I think I'd recommend cutting it even more.  It was awfully sweet.  But so moist.  I used pecans instead of walnuts and it was reminiscent of pecan pie with the crusty, sugary topping.  I had it with coffee the next day and it was yummy at room temp.

Here it is coming together at my house:










I thought of this when making it, and then saw it in the comments later that some people had subbed applesauce for some of the oil in the cake batter.
Just FYI for those wanting a healthier substitute - although, the topping kind of blows it in the healthy department.
After eating the leftovers for several days, I'm a superfan of this cake.
It's really good for breakfast.  :o)

 


5 comments:

  1. This looks delicious, Mindy. I enjoy the decorating part of making the transition from summer to fall, but I sure hate to see summer go. And I hear you about being tired of doing all the zillions of gardening chores at this stage--so tired of watering by this time of the year. What a dry September we've had so far. It's more fun to just sit under the pergola and enjoy looking at the garden!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mindy, it looks amazing! I got tons of apples while apple-picking the other day, so thanks for a good "get-rid-of-all-the-apples" recipe.
    -Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, I really want something sweet now. It screams Fall! Yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ohmyword. THIS is me, all over it. I looove sweet caramelness. I'm going to have to try this one!

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate all your comments. So don't be shy, just say it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover