Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Rotini With Golden Beets, Chard, Feta and Pecans


When we go to the farmer's market on Sundays, I never bring a list.  I buy what jumps into my arms.  Last Sunday, it was yellow beets and chard.  They were so pretty, they just begged to come home with me.  Of course, then I had to figure out what to do with them.

I remembered seeing a pasta recipe on Pinterest with the genius idea of grating the beets for faster cooking.  Seriously, people.  It's genius.  I love me some beets, but you need to plan ahead 'cause roasting them takes like an hour.  No more.  I am now armed with the knowledge to get beet pasta on the table in under 30 minutes.




Here's my recipe:

Rotini With Golden Beets, Chard, Feta and Walnuts

1 pound whole wheat rotini, or any pasta you like
3 to 4 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 onion, sliced into half moons or diced
1 bunch beets, grated
1 bunch chard, leaves and stems chopped and divided
8 oz feta cheese, crumbled
Lemon juice from half a large lemon
Pasta cooking water
1/2 C toasted pecans
Salt and pepper to taste


Grate your beets just before you need them, otherwise they'll turn brown.
If you need to prep them ahead of time, fill the bowl with water and keep them in the fridge.
Drain them well before using.


Could you have walked away from this chard?!


Heat oil in a large pan.
Cook onion, garlic, and chard stems until soft.
Add grated beets and cook about 10 minutes more.


Add chard leaves and 1 to 2 ladles of pasta cooking water.
Cook just until wilted.


Stir in fresh squeezed lemon, feta, and pecans.
Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Everyone in my house inhaled this pasta.
I don't know how I lucked out, but The Kid was literally picking all the chard out to eat first.
Yes, to eat, not to secretly feed the dog under the table.

Here's dinner in my bowl:
 


Remember the Cheesy Garlic Sticks I posted?
I did a somewhat healthier version this time around.
I used whole wheat pizza crust and added heirloom tomatoes, also from the market, and basil, instead of just cheese.




Yes, it's pasta and pizza again all in one meal.
Don't judge me.


9 comments:

  1. I'm judging you,...and you're coming out roses. Mmmmmmmm. I could kiss you with the grated beets tip. Seriously. I see you cowering, but if you were here, you would be kissed. Thanks!!!!! for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds wonderful! I have to plant yellow beets next year. The only thing I don't like about the red beets is that they turn everything pink! Somehow pink pasta just doesn't sound appetizing to me.

    The chard is beautiful...mine is just starting to recover from the ravaging turkeys :)

    Thanks for the recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My oldest son is crazy about pasta, so I try to come up with different ways to serve it. This recipe sounds really good. I love beets, but my boys don't share my taste. This would be a good way to make them eat some beets, he-he.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm. Daughter has requested tortellini tonight. I have feta. I have walnuts. I have chard in the garden. I have already grated carrots in the fridge -- and roasted beets in the freezer. I wonder if this will suit (she generally prefers creamy pasta sauces -- I think you really are lucky in the kid department that they enjoy sharp and piquant flavors!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This combo of ingredients sounds pretty awesome!! Love chard.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It all looks so delicious! I have never thought of grating beets, so clever! I will definitely be trying this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holy Hell. What is Chard and what on earth makes it so colorful!? It's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I finally tried this tonight and it is fabulous!!!! Forgot the pecans and it was still amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate all your comments. So don't be shy, just say it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover