Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Green Power Smoothie

I suppose I'm a little late to the green smoothie party, but better late than never, right?

The Kid brought this recipe home from school and has been buggin' me to buy the ingredients.  They had made it in the classroom and he kept talking about how good it was.  I myself, was a little skeptical.  I drink a smoothie almost every day in the summer, but adding any kind of leaves was not high on my 'try' list.

I was wrong.  Honest to God, if it wasn't green, there's no way you'd know there was spinach in it.  It's really, really good.  The four of us split a batch last night and then I made another batch this morning.

The recipe is a good starting point, but feel free to use whatever fruit and/or juice you like.

Here's the recipe:

Green Leaf Power Smoothie

1 C orange juice
1/2 C pineapple juice
1/2 C plain or vanilla yogurt (I used vanilla, but since plain has way less sugar, I'd try that with some vanilla extract)
1 banana, peeled and sliced
2 C fresh spinach leaves
Ice

Combine all ingredients in a blender.  Puree until completely smooth.  Drink.


Here's mine in the glass:





6 comments:

  1. I've been making green smoothies, too, over the past month almost every day! It's a great pick-me-up. I add in some ground flax, and a fig or 2 (the figs add sweetness and add to the creaminess -- they work kind of like bananas in smoothies -- along with the basics of a banana and spinach, yogurt or almond milk, and whatever berries I have on hand. Sometimes it turns out pink (from strawberries or raspberries), sometimes green like yours, and sometimes kind of mud colored -- but they are always yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I kind of don't believe you. I'm entirely skeptical.
    But I might try it for sheets and giggles. Literally. But just with sheets spelled the right way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll try it but I'll have to close my eyes. I like green paint not smoothies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your green smoothie looks so good. I make them all the time and if I use strawberries, they look like mud as Diana mentioned. Still taste good though, so what do I care right. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. this post is going to induce my repetitive "I want a juicer so bad!" whine. This looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay between you and Terry, I guess I HAVE to try these now!! They sound better than they look though. lol:) Thanks for partying with us this week girlie!

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate all your comments. So don't be shy, just say it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover