Thursday, January 19, 2012

The Baby's Room: Cheap DIY Curtain Rods


I don't know about you, but I hate spending money on things that are utilitarian.  Curtain rods are one of those things.  When I first bought this house, I used copper pipe in all the rooms as a cheaper-than-retail option of being able to hang curtains and still feed myself. 

When we built The Kid's room, I had hung valances over both the windows, so I used the cheapy metal rods because they wouldn't be seen. 

Here's a shot so you can see what I'm talking about.



They were fine for the valances, but in the process of turning this into Baby's room, I wanted to hang curtains.

I shopped a few different places and found some at Joann's for half off.  
Still, it was almost $40 bucks for the two windows.  
Boooooo.  
So I headed to Home Depot.
I bought a 10' length of PVC pipe for $6.
I had them cut it in the store to the 6' length I needed for the double window - the remaining 4' would work for the single window.
I also bought a can of black spray paint specifically for plastic. 
It was close to $4 bucks.

The mounting brackets I already had because I had used them for the copper pipe.
They're the cheap gold ones you can find anywhere. 
I had painted them copper years ago, so I gave them a coat of black spray paint as well.
I used three brackets for the double window, two for the single, and it was good to go.

Here's my $10 dollar curtain rods for the Baby's room:









Notice the finials?  
Those were from the bag 'o random stuff from the estate sale
Remember that load of stuff for $3?!  
See, I knew it would come in handy.
I just painted them black and stuck them in the ends of the pipe.
Do you remember what else I scored at that sale?
Well, it's officially, sanded, painted, and set up in the room.
Sorry, no sneak peeks. 
You'll have to come back to see what color I went with.  :o)

7 comments:

  1. you are so Genius girl! fab idea, and CAN'T WAIT to see what you did with the baby bassinet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The rods look good...great idea, so thrifty :) I really can't wait to see the finished room. I love the paint color and I spy a tree with birds. Yippee!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are so dang resourceful! That looks great. Love the shades!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so much fun. We're getting so close now,..woohoo. I love that paint colour too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for joining the Link It Up Thursday party. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It turned out great!! You wouldn't know that you didn't just buy them like that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Mindy,
    We are very interested in talking to you about your home interiors blogging. My colleague has sent you a private email. Hopefully you'll get it (check your spam folder if you don't!) and would be so kind to get back to us.

    Many regards,

    Michael.

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate all your comments. So don't be shy, just say it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover