Monday, June 6, 2011

Machaca Tacos

I love me some Mexican food.  I could eat it twice a week, at least.  Of course, my favorite is cheese quesadillas.  Ya know, 'cause it's cheese. And it's fried.  But alas, there was no fried cheese to be had this time.

I got this recipe years ago out of the newspaper.  I make several different shredded beef and pork tacos, a few of them in the crockpot, but I hadn't made this one in a long time, so it was time.

Make sure you plan ahead, because the meat needs to marinate overnight.

Here's the recipe with my notes:

Machaca Tacos

Marinade:  
2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
Juice of 2 limes
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp minced chipotle chile in adobo (a can of these is way more than I would ever use in one recipe, so I keep them in a bag in the freezer)
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp black pepper
3 lbs chuck roast, cut into 6 large pieces

Machaca:
1 1/2 Tbsp veggie oil
1 large onion, diced
1 poblano chile or green bell pepper, seeds and ribs removed, diced
1 jalapeno, diced
1 Tbsp dried oregano, preferably Mexican (I used regular, 'cause it's what I had)
1 Tbsp ground cumin
1 14-oz can diced tomatoes
1 tsp hot sauce, such as Tabasco, or to taste
Tortillas
Shredded cabbage
Cilantro
Lime Wedges
*Obviously you can use whatever toppings you like on your tacos*


To make marinade:  In a large, self-sealing bag, mix the Worcestershire, lime juice, garlic, chipotle chile, cumin and black pepper.
    Add the beef to the bag, seal and turn over several times to coat all sides.  Refrigerate overnight.

To make machaca:  Remove the meat from the marinade and pat dry.  Place a large stockpot over med-high heat.  Add the oil and heat until shimmering.  

Arrange the meat, without crowding, in a single layer and brown on all sides (you may have to do the meat in batches). 

Transfer to a plate.
 

Add the onion, poblano and jalapeno chiles, oregano and cumin to the pot. 



Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are soft.  


Add the tomatoes and hot sauce and bring to a boil, scraping up the browned bits from the bottom of the pot.  


Add the meat, cover and reduce heat. 


Simmer for 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until the meat is fork-tender.

Remove the pot from the heat and transfer the meat to a cutting board.  Use two forks to pull apart some of the meat to make 2 cups of shredded beef.


Refrigerate any remaining meat and broth.

To make tacos:  Warm the tortillas.  Top each with meat, some shredded cabbage, cilantro and a squeeze of lime.  *As well as any other toppings*  Serve.

Here's dinner on my plate:







I'm linking up to Tasty Tuesdays over at 33 Shades of Green.
















6 comments:

  1. Looks delicious!! We're frequent visitors to our local Mexican restaurant and I think I could definitely save A LOT of dinero if I started cooking Mexican at home. Definitely going to try this recipe!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmmm Mexican. That looks like it could live in my tummy happily!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUMMY! I LOVE Mexican food! Its my favorite and I am always on the hunt for new ideas! I'll have to try this out! I found your blog through a link party and i LOVE it! I am your newest follower and would love it if you would check out my blog and follow me too! Thanks!
    -Nikki
    http://chef-n-training.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your machaca looks and sounds wonderful! I'm with you -- I could easily eat Mexican every day and be as happy as a clam!

    Visiting from the party over at Sweet Peas and Bumblebees!

    Jenn/Rook No. 17

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummy! I live in Tucson and we eat Mexican alot with some awesome little authentic places. I love machaca (we had this at our wedding) so I was so excited to see your recipe. Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds soo good. We rarely eat beef but I"d like to try these for sure

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate all your comments. So don't be shy, just say it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover