Wednesday, June 8, 2011

10-Minute Mac n' Cheese

I'm not a huge fan of buying or feeding my family any food that has a day-glo hue.  Yes, this is coming from the same person who made rainbow cupcakes.  And yes, I love Cheetos as much as the next guy.

It's easy for me to get stuck in a rut when it comes to making lunches every day for the kidlets.  Grilled Cheese and PB&J are super quick and super easy, but not very exciting after three days in a row. 

Box macaroni and cheese is fine every once in a while, I'm not a purist, but I'd much rather whip something up that doesn't look like it belongs at a black light party.  

This is literally three ingredients.  Pasta, butter and cheese.  


You can certainly build on it and throw in some veggies, garlic, seasonings, etc., but this is a basic starting point.

Boil your noodles according to the package directions.  I happened to have some fun shaped pasta, but anything will do.  I threw in a few handfuls and cooked them for 8 minutes.  I drained them and put them back in the pot.

Add a couple tablespoons of butter, depending on how much pasta you're making.


 Stir everything around to melt the butter and then add the cheese.  Again, the amount depends on how many noodles you've got.  

Any cheese is delicious, obviously.  I use cheddar often, but today I used Parmesan.

Add it to the pot and stir everything around again until the cheese melts.  


Voila, lunch - or dinner - is ready.

Here it is on the plate:





4 comments:

  1. YUMMY!!! I am guilty for making boxed macaroni & cheese for my kiddos...but this is definitely as much work as the box & looks MUCH better! Thanks for the inspiration!!

    Alisa
    Sweet Peas and Bumblebees

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's something nostalgic about this dish!! I used to make something very similar when I was in school...What's appealing is that it's so simple to make. I love it! I actually had a white bread, butter and processed cheese sandwich for lunch today with the crusts removed!! Simplicity at it's finest is sometimes best :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holly, I used to eat bread, cheese and mayo sandwiches like it was my job. I may have to bust that oldie but goodie out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mindy,

    This looks delicious and I love macaroni & cheese. Thank you for stopping to visit me. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate all your comments. So don't be shy, just say it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover